White House condemns Afghanistan bombing that killed dozens, including journalists

- Mei 01, 2018

White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders on Tuesday condemned as “senseless and heinous” a suicide bombing a day earlier in Afghanistan that killed at least 25 people, including at least nine journalists.

Sanders told reporters during the White House press briefing that the Trump administration “strongly condemns” the attacks that rocked the capital of Kabul on Monday, killing several members of the media who were there to cover an earlier bombing.

“These journalists were in the area to cover a bomb blast when a second explosion occurred,” Sanders said.

“Afghanistan’s press corps is a powerful illustration of how that country has transformed," she said. "There’s absolutely no justification for such a senseless and heinous act.”

According to the Associated Press, at least 25 people were killed and 45 were wounded after two Islamic State suicide bombers struck the city. The attacks marked the deadliest assault on members of the media in nearly two decades.


Among the journalists killed, AP reported, were an Agence France-Presse photographer, a cameraman for the local Tolo TV station, two reporters for Radio Free Europe and another who was set to begin working for them.

President Donald Trump, who has been sharply critical of the press in the U.S. throughout his political career, has yet to address the bombing himself.


 

Start typing and press Enter to search