Trump: High-level North Korean official heading to U.S. for summit talks

- Mei 29, 2018

A top North Korean official is traveling to New York for meetings aimed at reviving plans for a summit between President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, Trump tweeted Tuesday morning.

Trump last week abruptly canceled his meeting with Kim, which had been scheduled for June 12 in Singapore, via a letter in which he lamented the “tremendous anger and open hostility” that had emanated from Pyongyang, including criticisms of Vice President Mike Pence and national security adviser John Bolton.

“We have put a great team together for our talks with North Korea. Meetings are currently taking place concerning Summit, and more,” Trump wrote on Twitter on Tuesday. “Kim Young Chol [sic], the Vice Chairman of North Korea, heading now to New York. Solid response to my letter, thank you!”
The Associated Press reported earlier Tuesday that South Korea’s Yonhap News said it saw the name of Kim Yong Chol on the passengers’ list for a flight from Beijing to the U.S.


Even after canceling the summit, Trump has continued to signal that it could still happen. The president said over the weekend that the plan for the June 12 meeting “hasn’t changed” and is “moving along very nicely” and The Washington Post reported Sunday that U.S. officials had entered North Korea to prepare for the ostensibly canceled summit.


 

Start typing and press Enter to search