The United States has yet to hear from North Korea after President Donald Trump accepted an invitation to meet with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un last week, Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said Monday.
"We have not heard anything directly back from North Korea, although we do expect to hear something directly from them,” Tillerson said during a press conference in Nigeria.
South Korean officials last Thursday announced that Trump accepted North Korea's invitation. The White House said the meeting would only happen if North Korea agreed to avoid any missile testing and did not object to U.S.- South Korea joint military exercises.
Tillerson said discussions on the scope of the meeting are still “in the very early stages” and “several steps will be necessary to agree on a location.”
“I know those are all questions people are anxious to have answers to. I would say remain patient, and we'll see what happens,” he said.
When pressed on the location of the meeting, Tillerson said no agreements have been reached.
“I don't want to start floating ideas out through the media,” he said. “I think it's going to be very important that those kind of conversations are held quietly between the two parties.“